Back to Top
Modifications Committed To Providing Each Client with the Personalized Service They Deserve

Post-Decree Modifications in Charlotte

Professional Legal Help to Make the Changes You Need following Divorce

Life is full of change. While a judge may have ordered a decree about your custody, child support, or alimony arrangements with your ex at the time of your divorce, you may need to make changes to better fit your life today. At Smith Horton Law, our Charlotte family law attorney can help you learn more about making the post-decree modifications to accommodate your current situation.

Call today to schedule your consultation with our Charlotte family law attorney by dialing (704) 734-9797 or contacting us online. We also serve Indian Trails.

When to Modify an Existing Order

Aside from property division, you can modify most of what exists in the judge’s divorce decree. However, making any changes to your divorce decree can take time, so it is important that you thoroughly plan your strategy. You want to make sure your modifications will remain valid over the years and are adaptable to more changes throughout your life.

You can request modifications for arrangements involving things such as:

With these cases, it is important to demonstrate why the change needs to happen. Most judges are hesitant to make changes to a decree without some reasonable proof as to why it should happen.

Making Your Case for Modification

While some modifications can be mutually agreeable between former spouses, there may be cases where the other party fights against your interests. In these cases, having the help of a trusted family law attorney on your side can be of great advantage. Attorney Doughton Horton has the experience and tenacity to help you build a compelling case as to why you should have the decree modified to your preferences.

For example, if you want sole custody rather than joint custody, you must demonstrate that your former spouse cannot adequately take care of your child. This could mean your ex:

  • Fails to provide the adequate support the child needs
  • Shows been signs of neglect
  • Has a substance abuse problem
  • Is physically, emotionally, psychologically, or sexually abusive to you, the child, or other family members
  • Refuses to reasonably accommodate your situation

How Smith Horton Law Can Help

Arguing for modifications with an unwilling other party can become emotionally stressful. It is important that you have a strong case prepared beforehand so you can stay strong in your fight to obtain the best possible outcome for your situation. Attorney Doughton Horton was named to 2019’s Rising Stars list thanks to his relentless commitment to fighting for his clients. During your initial consultation, we will go over what you aim to accomplish through your post-decree modification, then survey the details to make sure we can build a strong case to protect your interests. You do not have to go to court for a modification on your own. Let our team help.

Dial (704) 734-9797 now and schedule your initial consultation with our team.

Our Clients Say It Best

Making a Real Difference In People's Lives
  • Communication and professionalism was superb.

    - Satisfied Client
  • Very Fair & Reasonable in Billing

    - Divorce Client
  • I’ve had the opportunity to recommend you twice since we first connected in May/June, and will continue to share your name should someone be in need of excellent representation-counsel.

    - Satisfied Client

Get In Touch with Smith Horton Law

A Member of Our Team Is Ready to Assist
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.